Updated 14 April 2019

Who needs a police clearance?

All team managers, and all coaches 18 years and above, must have a current police clearance if they are in charge of teams playing in junior grades including ‘18 and Under’. Other officials may be required to have police clearances – see By-law 19, HRBA By-laws.

Who should I contact for advice or to apply for a clearance?

Ken Rose is the Police Clearances Co-ordinator for the HRBA. If you are required to have a police clearance, seek out Ken at the Office on games night or ring him at 9295 2862, or email suzanne_rose@aapt.net.au; otherwise Ken will be calling on you at basketball on competition nights.

What types of police clearances are acceptable?

In most cases the appropriate police clearance to our competition is the Volunteer National Police Check (VNPC). These checks are designed for volunteer purposes, applying a comprehensive check at a subsidised price. VNPC certificates are only available through registered associations like the HRBA.

Processing a VNPC application costs $15.90. Historically Clubs have paid this fee on behalf of applicants.

You will be asked to sign a consent form so that the HRBA can request a police check. At the same time, you will be asked to show Ken proof of identity – one primary and one secondary, or 3 secondary identity documents from the list at the end of this notice, one of which must be photo ID.

A VNPC certificate will be returned to the HRBA and once any record of offences has been scrutinised the certificate will be handed on to the applicant.

What about Working With Children checks (WWC)?

Most prospective coaches and managers have their own child playing in their team and are exempted from applying for a WWC card. Where this applies the HRBA requires they have a VNPC instead.

The HRBA is happy to accept currently valid Working With Children cards that exempted officers may hold from other sources e.g. their employer. Coaches and managers whose team does not include any of their children will be required to apply for a WWC card. Siblings and other extended family members acting as coaches (if 18 or over) and managers also require a WWC card. Whatever the circumstance, when you use your WWC card as proof of integrity then Ken will need to sight it and take details like the card number and expiry date.

As a volunteer organization the HRBA can only facilitate an application for a Working With Children check, where no exemption applies and/or there is no priority sponsor e.g. your employer. Talk to Ken about an application form and his endorsement of the application on behalf of the Association.

What about National Police Certificates (NPC)?

Tradespeople and some other professions often use NPCs as proof of integrity.

This is an expensive option but the HRBA will accept current certificates from holders to save duplication of costs, with some provisos. Ken will need to sight all pages of the certificate and take details like certificate number and date of application. If you don’t already have a current certificate then please apply for a VNPC through the HRBA.

Why doesn’t the HRBA accept police checks from on-line providers?

We don’t accept police checks from on-line providers because:

  1. Initial presentation is in the form of a copy, which doesn’t have the security features of original documents
  2. Screening is often restricted according to workplace situations and do not necessarily meet appropriate standards for child protection.
  3. After 2-3 months all data related to charges and level of screening are purged, giving us no means of evaluating the applicant’s true situation.

For how long are the clearances current?

The HRBA considers the clearances valid for 3 years, in line with the currency for the WWC card. The currency of the WWC card expires on the date of expiry and we consider the VNPC and NPC options valid for 3 years from the date of application.

Note that according to By-law 19 the HRBA may require a clearance be renewed at any time, at its discretion.


Primary ID Documents

Full Australian Birth Certificate

Australian Citizenship Certificate

Australian Passport (current or expired within the last 2 years)

International Passport (current only)

Secondary ID Documents

Australian Photo Drivers Licence

Australian Photo Firearms Licence

State or Federal Government Employee Photo ID

Centrelink or Social Security Card

Dept. of Veteran’s Affairs Card

Tertiary Education Institution Photo ID

Australian Learner’s Permit

Medicare Card

Property lease or rental agreement

Council or shire rates notice

Property insurance papers

Utilities bill (power/phone/mobile/water/gas)

Motor vehicle registration or insurance

Professional or trade association card

Debit or credit card

Passbook or statement from financial institution